At Woodnook we use Charanga to support our music teaching, this is an online music scheme provided by Lancashire Music Services with lots of visual aids and interactive resources to support your children's learning about music. Our children love using the glockenspiels, percussion trolleys and recorders to take part practically in classroom music lessons. Take a look at our music curriculum overview to find out what units your child will be covering in music this year.
To support our music teaching and provide engaging opportunities for our pupils, we often invite guests into our school. Recently we have had visits from Travelling with Tuba, Samba Drumming and Junk Percussion workshops.
Both KS1 and KS2 have a Christmas production involving songs to learn and perform.
In KS1 the children will be taught to:
- use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the interrelated dimensions of music
Pupils should be taught to sing and play musically with increasing confidence and control. They should develop an understanding of musical composition, organising and manipulating ideas within musical structures and reproducing sounds from aural memory.
In KS2 the children will be taught to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the interrelated dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music.
For a copy the school overview and music policy see below