Physical Education at Woodnook
We aim for all pupils to develop a knowledge of healthy lifestyles and safety skills that will positively impact on their future. We aim to deliver high quality teaching through learning opportunities to participate fairly and respectfully in physical activities. Knowledge and skills are developed through a carefully planned sequence of lessons which build upon prior experiences. Support for pupils with SEND is based on individual needs and appropriate resources and support will be provided.
All pupils receive two high quality PE lessons each week. They also have daily access to well resourced, structured outdoor provision to further enhance and develop this area.
According to the Early Years Framework 2021 document -
By the end of EYFS pupils should be able to:
- Move freely and safely with good control
- Negotiate spaces and obstacles safely, with consideration for themselves and others
- Demonstrate strength, balance and coordination when playing
- Move energetically, such as running, jumping, dancing, hopping, skipping and climbing
Key Stage 1 and 2
National Curriculum 2014 states the following:
By the end of Key Stage 1:
- Pupils should develop fundamental movement skills
- Master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns
By the end of Key Stage 2:
- Pupils should use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- Perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Swimming and water safety:
We provide weekly swimming instruction to a year group in key stage 2. (To ensure all pupils have had lessons before they leave school)
Pupils are taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
We follow the Lancashire Physical Education Scheme of Work Progression Document 2020. All pupils receive two high quality teacher led PE lessons each week.
All children need to have a PE kit in school. This comprises of:
black/navy tracksuit bottoms or leggings
black/navy hoody or sweat top
black pumps or black trainers
NO BRANDED LOGOs
Each piece of child`s clothing should be named and kept in a labelled bag.
Click here to view our PE policy
Click here to View our Year Group Curriculum Expectations
Our Year 3 classes (3D and 3W) go swimming every Monday afternoon at Accrington Academy where they have lessons delivered by specialist swimming instructors. Swimming caps must be worn and earrings should be removed.
School Games Competitions
At Seven Stars, we are part of the School Sports Partnership. We have children from both Ks1 & Ks2 participating in Core events and school games events including inclusion events. This gives children of all ages the opportunities to represent our school whilst staying active, trying new sports and being part of a team.